The benefits of getting fit when you’re older can be huge, particularly if you’ve had heart problems. We’ve got 6 top tips to help you get fit later in life. Read more about profit singularity ultra edition.
1. Find an exercise you love doing. You’re more likely to stick with something that you enjoy.
- Take our quiz to find out which fitness activity suits you.
- Read how a new-found love of running has helped Sally get fit after 50.
2. Build up your exercise steadily – don’t push yourself too hard to begin with.
- Get started with our 10-minute workout with our BHF Physical Activity Specialist.
- Read Kevin’s story of walking to get fit after 50.
3. Exercise with friends or groups for encouragement.
- Discover 9 surprising walking activities, including walking rugby (pictured above)
- Learn how a walking group could help you get moving. Try out
4. Plan exercise into your diary so you always make time for it.
- Watch our animation to discover what happens in your body when you exercise.
5. Set targets, whether it’s walking for longer or training for an event.
- Our SMART goals video (above) explains how to set achievable targets.
- Read Nicola and Natalie’s stories of taking on swimming events for the BHF.
- Learn more about how to set goals.
6. Speak to your doctor before doing any new exercise.
- Discover how going to the gym after 50 helped Patrick after heart bypass surgery.
- Learn more about how to stay healthy in later life.
Filed under — Uncategorized